Friday, November 14, 2008

Macro Photography~



Macro photography, the type of photography I am interested even before I had my DSLR.
I remembered how I used to shoot macros using those compact point and shoot by simply press the macro button, or the button with a lily/flower icon. I recalled how fascinating macro focusing was! It enable the camera to focus closer than it normally does, but the most amazing thing about macro in PNS camera is how it is able to blur out the background while having your subject in focus which will not be the case of normal shooting mode in PNS due to very high depth of field as a characteristic for PNS's small sensor as opposed to DSLRs.
At that time, I never cared too much about composition, the background and everything else. For me, a simple photograph shot with macro mode was already satisfying. I did not possessed any photography skills at that time. Or to put it with better words, I shoot totally based on my instinct. Not only that, I wasn't orientated in learning more, as a matter of fact,  I never thought searching it online.
But this had changed, this year alone, I have had been focused more on Macro photography, I learnt the meaning of Macro, what is macro lenses, the technique, and how to criticize another's macro works. But I have not yet master it. I've recently learnt that there is something called a Garden Photographer. I was fascinated of their works. As compared to mine, I'm way behind.
But this is the thing, without certain commitment, there would be no good result and I am ready to put some effort. But sometime, after a period of fruitless efforts. The morale of photography in me was very, very discouraging. But then, who would never fail right? Time will tell, I'm still young as compared to the experts. Well all the best to myself in my effort part.
Efforts aside, what have I learnt along was some technical points. I realize some of the lens brand does market label their lens as Macro lens while it can't do a real 1:1 magnification ratio. These are usually implemented to super-telephoto-lenses which has a closer focus length. So as a little advise, do your research before deciding on your purchase.
Well, yes it is a good point on buying such lenses, you can have a telephoto lens as well as a macro lens. I can't tell you what is the real deal here. But thing are made for a reason. You wan macro, buy macro lens. macro lens, have a long barrel for close focusing. 
manufacturers call it a micro, which might actually be scientifically more precise, but can be confusing, since it goes against the established convention. A macro lens might be optimized to provide its best performance at a magnification of 1:1.

1 comment:

MaxiVelasco said...

hmm. interesting. i did this one before but it did not work well with me! gosh! i am not really good with photography.

my boyfriend bought this canon 400D (is that right or DS)... anyway, i love the camera so much. however, it is for me difficult to the macrophotography.

maxi of www.healthnbeyond.com