Sunday, September 14, 2008

Prosperity Flower *maybe

Taken at 1/320s at f5.6, ISO 100
I took this photo around May. I haven't had my macro lens yet, so this was shot with my 14-42mm kit lens. Speaking of kit lens, there is always a perception in most of amateur photographers, of which is, kit lens are simply a "way" of marketing. So to push the sales a little, hence, kit lens are sometimes, in my opinion made at least, a level lower quality than non-kit lenses. Reason being, to promote sales of other lenses. Hence, manufacturer tends to resort in a way to design its kit lens to a certain limitation so to encourage their customers to come back and purchase  higher quality lenses, which also means higher price too.

I'm not sure what others think of, and also if anyone using Olympus DSLR, encounters problems of having to look hard for Olympus lenses or accessories. This problem has happened to myself, and recently I found out, what us called a satisfying answers. Camera shops tend not to keep stocks of Olympus lenses. There is a reason for that. Prima facie, it could lead a thought to others that Olympus's products are not good/unpopular. Resulting lesser demands on such brand's products while having preference of other major brands. I simply had to object such thoughts, and I sincerely admits there are some lemons do exist in Olympus range, but, as if others do not?

There's a reason being low demand, and which, I find it quite logical. I give you, fellow readers, a situation to think of. There are different types of apples in the world, from japanese fujis, to grape flavoured Grapple. So one day, you bought a typical Red Delicious apple and ate it, and it was not favorable by you, so what would you do? If you are desperate enough, you may have gone back and ask for an authentic Japanese Fuji, and you'll keep on eating it if you like it. Same goes with kit lenses. When kit lenses does not satisfy you, you will have such "crave" for better quality lenses. But the thing is, what if you kit lens taste as good as the Japanese Fuji you've just ate? Would you spend another thousand of monetary medium to purchase better ones? Remember, we are not talking about an apple anymore. It's wallet-unfriendly precision imaging tools we are talking here.

Now, scroll back above and look at that photographs I've took. That's authentic Olympus Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Kit Lens that was, without fail, bundled with my Olympus E-510. I can't be certain of you, but for me, it sure taste like the Fuji specially imported from Fujisaki, Aomori, Japan. Now, you know why Olympus was unpopular? I hope you do. Happy Photographing

4 comments:

Henry Lee said...

'Taken at 1/320s at f5.6, ISO 100'
good shot there, your shutter speed is quite fast but still your pictures are quite clear eh, it wont look like that if it was taken with my Nikkor 18-55mm VR AF-S lens...

Somehow my kit lens is quite good in taking wide angle and no doubt pictures are quite clear with the VR features but a lot of power consumption :)

Cheers

JC said...

Hey, thanks for visiting. I like your pictures taken. So nice.

Nice knowing you anyways.

Kuntong said...

nice shoot!
kit-lens is always good!

Unknown said...

thank bro, your pic gave me the oomph may be to rekindle my passion for photography,,

thank again